This is my version of Cuban Black Beans and Rice. It makes a complete meal.
Black Beans and Rice Salad
1 cup Black beans, soaked for 4-5 hours
1 cup salsa
1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 cup spinach or kale
1 cup cooked rice
1 1/2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
2 tbsp. chopped red onion (optional)
1 tbsp. minced red radish (optional)
1 tbsp. minced cilantro or scallions/spring onions
4 wedges of lemon
1. Drain beans and pressure cook adding salsa, turmeric powder and spinach or kale. Add water as needed.
2. Bring to boil. Add cumin powder and salt to taste. Let it simmer.
3. Arrange shredded lettuce in a serving bowl.
4. Add a small scoop of rice.
5. Add black beans. Do not add too much of the watery part of the "curry".
6. Garnish with avocado, tomatoes, onions, radish, cilantro/scallions.
7. Serve with a lemon wedge.
1. I prefer Jack's Salsa for this recipe.