Monday, April 21, 2014
I found some fresh "Valpapdi" at the Indian stores. I decided to use just the simple Konkani tempering. Coconut oil is a must for the authentic flavor.
2 cups valpapdi, both ends removed, slit and then torn into 2" pieces
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafetida
2-3 red chilies, broken
1 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil in a wok/kadhai.
2. Add spices and as they sizzle, add the valpapdi.
3. Saute for 2 minutes. Cover with a lid. Pour water on the lid.
4. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes till it's fully cooked.
5. Add salt to taste
6. Garnish with coconut.
1. Use coconut oil for the authentic taste.
2. Valpapdi is not cut with a knife. It is always hand torn.