When those renowned chefs proclaim - "Tofu is like a blank canvas!" - it really is true. You can marinate a block of tofu in any of your favorite marinade and grill it. Voila! A delicious masterpiece is ready.
I love to grill tofu as below and then dice it to throw it in a simple stir fry.
1 block of Extra Firm tofu
1. Place a colander over a pot. Line up several wads of paper towels along the colander.
2. Place your block of Tofu on the paper towels.
3. Cover with 2-3 more layers of paper towels.
4. Keep a heavy weight like filled can or mortar and pestle on top.
5. Let it stand for 4-5 hours till all the excess moisture is drained out.
6. Heat your grill pan. Spray some cooking oil.
7. Place your block of tofu at an angle - acute angle to be precise.
8. Wait for 4 minutes. Now, place the tofu at an obtuse angle. We are still grilling the same bottom side. We are doing this to get those beautiful grill marks.
9. Now, turn over and do the same.
10. Take off the grill. Let it cool down.
11. Dice, slice or chop and use it in salads, stir fries or any other preparation.
1. Use extra firm tofu.