Saar Upkari is a typical broth like legume soup/curry from South Canara. For Masoor or black chana sasam-karbevu fanna (mustard seeds & curry leaves tempering) is used and for, black eyed peas, noshni fanna (garlic tempering) is used.
Chanya Saar Upkari
Chickpeas Broth Curry
2 cups brown chickpeas sprouts
4-5 cups water
salt to taste
2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
2 red chilies, halved
1 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut
1. Pressure cook chickpeas sprouts using adequate water.
2. Heat coconut oil in a pot.
3. Add spices and curry leaves. As they splutter, add cooked chickpeas along with cooking liquid and 4 cups water.
4. Bring to boil. Add salt to taste.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add fresh coconut.
6. Serve as an accompaniment with meal.
1. This curry has watery consistency.
2. This is typically eaten with plain rice.