Wednesday, March 19, 2014
My maushi is one of the most innovative cooks I have ever met. She comes up with some unique recipes. She never uses pressure cooker for making the daily rice. She always uses "Konkani Velun" method (i.e. Boil rice like pasta and then drain the water).
Sometimes she adds just one spice in that rice. That one spice gives its unique aroma to the cooked rice. You can use black peppercorn, cinnamon or clove. I love to use cloves. I generally use about double amount of water and cook the rice and so I do not have to drain the water.
One Spice Rice
1 cup Basmati Rice
2 1/4 cups water
1. Pick, rinse Basmati.
2. Place in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add 2 1/4 cup water and cloves.
3. Bring to boil on high flame.
4. Lower the flame to medium low. Cook for about 9 minutes.
5. Cover with a tight fitting lid for about 10 minutes.
6. Serve hot rice with any curry of your choice.
1. Discard cloves before serving.