Saffron flavored Basmati Milk
1 lit milk - preferably whole milk
A fistful Basmati Rice
3/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
few threads of saffron + 1 tbsp. hot milk
4-5 green cardamoms, peeled & powdered
4-5 almonds, soaked, peeled & slivered
1. Rinse & drain basmati rice. Spread on a kitchen towel or muslin cloth and let it air dry.
2. Put milk to boil. Keep a ladle and keep stirring every once in a while.
3. When milk comes to boil, switch the gas to low.
4. Take a spoonful of hot milk and add saffron threads in a small ramekin. Set aside.
5. Add a spoonful of ghee/clarified butter and apply to now dried basmati grains.
6. Pour ghee applied basmati to the milk.
7. Keep stirring and let the rice cook.
8. Add sugar. Stir well.
9. Add saffron milk mixture, cardamom powder and almond slivers.
10. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
1. Serve warm with puris as a part of traditional meal.