I am sure that there are gazillion versions of simple onion-potato curries. This is just one of the many, simple yet delicious "shaak" from my mother-in-law's kitchen.
Kanda Bataka nu Shaak
4 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled & chopped
1 onion, peeled & chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 tbsp. Gujarati Garam Masala
salt to taste
1/2 tsp amchoor powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
2 tsp green chili-ginger paste
1/4 cup cilantro
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Add ingredients for tempering.
3. As they sizzle add onion. Saute till onion is soft.
4. Add tomato, potatoes, salt and Gujarati garam masala.
5. Add sugar, chili powder and amchoor powder.
6. Mix well and serve with rotla or thepla.
1. Depending on the requirement, add water to make more gravy or keep it dry to be served in the lunch box.