Monday, March 3, 2014
Chanya Usli is made by tempering boiled black chanas/chickpeas with South Canara spices. My grandmother used to make either Chanya usli or chanya saar upkari on Fridays.
South Canara style Black Chickpeas
2 cups chana sprouts
salt to taste
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
1 green chili, slit
1 red chili, halved
Freshly scraped coconut
1. Pressure cook chickpeas using adequate amount of water.
2. Heat oil in a kadhai. Add all the spices and let them sizzle.
3. Add boiled chickpeas and their cooking liquid.
4. Add salt. Let it simmer till all the liquid evaporates.
5. Add coconut to garnish.
1. Traditionally, a copious amount of coconut is added to this recipe otherwise, this "usli" tends to be very dry.