Sunday, February 23, 2014
Mom made the usual fanna upkari with sardines but, she also added some tirphal/teppals. They definitely gave a wonderful flavor to this spicy, yet fingerlicking curry.
Pedve Fanna Upkari(2) with tirphal
Sardines Curry with Sichuan peppercorns
12 small sardines, cleaned
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
10-12 good quality teppals/tirphals, soaked in 1/4 cup water for an hour
1 tbsp. tamarind paste
4 tbsp. hot chile powder (or per your preference)
3 tbsp. oil
1 big onion, finely chopped about 1 1/2 cups
1 tsp coconut oil
1. Clean sardines and marinate with salt and turmeric powder.
2. Soak tirphals in water.
3. Heat oil in an iron kadhai. Saute onion on a medium flame till it is dark brown but not burnt.
4. Add chile powder, tamarind paste, teppals along with water in which it is soaked and 1 cup water.
5. As it comes to boil, place marinated sardines.
6. Adjust for salt.
7. Let it simmer till sardines are cooked and curry turns thick. Drizzle some coconut oil.
1. Alternatively, you can grind red chilies (lots & lots) with tamarind to make a paste and then add teppals, grind again.
2. Traditionally, this curry is entirely made in coconut oil.