My mom-in-law deep fries some bite sized "bhujiyas"/fritters from the chilkewala dhokla batter during monsoons. These small bhujiyas taste delicious with hot-sweet chutney or tomato ketchup with a cup of ginger tea on a rainy day.
Though we miss Mumbai monsoons here, I do make these bhujiyas. But due to my aversion to deep frying, I use my trusted appe pan to "fry" these fritters.
1 recipe Chilkewala Dhokla batter
1 tbsp whole black peppercorns, slightly crushed
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp minced green chilies
2 tbsp minced cilantro
salt if needed
1/4 cup minced red onion
Oil for frying
Ginger Tea or Lemongrass Tea
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
2. If using appe pan, heat it adding oil as necessary and fry bhujies.
3. If deep frying, heat oil in a kadhai. Fry bite sized bhujiyas.
4. Enjoy with a cup of hot tea.
1. Do not use pepper powder for this recipe. Whole black peppercorns, are needed for the authentic taste.
2. If you want a real authentic taste, these bhujiyas need to be deep fried!!