Gudiya loves Chinese Steamed Buns. They are stuffed with veggies, chicken or shrimp. I especially enjoy the veggie filled steamed buns that are available at San Francisco's Farmers Market. Gudiya enjoys Trader Joes' Shrimp stuffed ones. So I decided to make my own version. The result was surprisingly good. I used short cut by using buttermilk biscuit dough.
Steamed & Stuffed Shrimp Bun
4 oz small salad shrimp
1/4 cup minced mushroom
1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 tsp garlic, grated
2 tbsp. minced red onion
You will also need
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
A dash of Soy Sauce
A dash of Rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1 tbsp. corn starch
8 Buttermilk Biscuit Dough (I used Trader Joe Brand)
Flour for dredging
Pam spray for greasing the steamer
1. Heat oil in a saucepan or wok. Add ginger-garlic and onion. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
2. Add bell pepper and mushroom. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add salad shrimp, spinach and all the spices, sauce and vinegar with salt and sugar.
4. Add cornstarch and mix well. Sauté till moisture evaporates.
5. Set aside to cool down completely.
8. Place shrimp mixture in the middle.
9. Bring all the edges together and roll into a neat bun.
11. Place 4-5 stuffed buns.
12. Cover and let it steam for about 20 minutes.
1. Salad shrimp is a small shrimp - generally available in the frozen seafood section. It's generally precooked.
2. You can make a vegetarian version by excluding shrimp and increasing the amount of mushrooms, bell peppers and spinach.
3. You can even halve each biscuit dough and make 16 mini shrimp bao.