I sometimes combine spinach with chhole to make palak chhole. After trying kale-paneer, I decided to make kale-chhole.
Garbanzo beans with Kale curry
16 oz frozen Kale, thawed, pressure cooked
salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tbsp Punjabi Garam Masala
1/2 tsp chile powder
1 cup dry garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and pressure cooked
1 small piece of cinnamon
2-3 black peppercorn
2 tbsp oil
2" piece of cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
Kulcha or Rumali Roti
1. Pressure cook thawed kale, adding adequate water. Let it cool down. Grind to a fine paste. Set aside. In a separate pressure cooker container, pressure cook garbanzo beans adding black peppercorn, cloves and a small piece of cinnamon.
2. Heat oil in a kadai or wok. Add spices. Saute for 1 minute. Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 2 minutes. Add onions, saute till it is soft. Now, add tomatoes. Saute till tomatoes are mushy.
3. Add coriander-cumin powder, garam masala and chile powder.
4. Add kale paste, garbanzo beans and salt to taste. Add water if needed but the curry should have thick consistency.
5. Simmer for 15 minutes on low flame.
1. Discard whole spices - especially cinnamon before serving.