Friday, January 17, 2014
Kachchya KeLyachi Bhajee with PoLi
I found some good looking raw plantains in the supermarket. I decided to make this simple bhaji. Plantains tend to get dry after cooking and hence this bhaji needs plenty of fresh coconut. Adjust the amount per your preference.
Kachchya KeLyachi Bhaaji
Raw Plantains Stir Fry
2 raw plantains, peeled and chopped
1/3 kala vatana sprounts, cooked
salt to taste
1 tsp jiggery
1/2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Grind to fine paste
1/2 cup freshly scraped coconut
1 tsp coriander seeds, roast for a minute
5-6 black peppercorn, roast for a minute
3-4 byadgi chilies, roast for a minute
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering.
2. As they splutter, add chopped plantain pieces. Cover with a lid. Place some water and let it cook till plantain is soft.
3. Add cooked kala vatana sprouts, ground masala paste, 1/2 cup water, salt and jiggery.
4. Bring to boil. Let it simmer till most of the moisture evaporates.
5. Serve as a side dish with chapatti or rice flatbread - tandlachi bhaakri.
1. This recipe is for raw plantains only. Do not use over-ripe or even semi-ripe plantains.