Friday, January 31, 2014
GooL PoLi - (5 count)
1 1/2 cup wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp. hot oil
water as needed to knead stiff dough
1 cup grated jaggery
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
2 tbsp. besan/chickpea flour
3-4 green cardamoms, peeled & powdered
1 tbsp. oil
Rice flour as needed
1. Mix all the ingredients for the dough. Add water carefully to knead a stiff dough ball. Cover and set aside.
2. Grate jaggery. Set aside.
3. Roast chickpea flour on a medium low flame, till it is a shade darker. Make sure it's not burnt.
4. Roast sesame seeds for a minute or so. Take off before it starts spluttering out of the pan!
5. Mix jaggery, chickpea flour/besan, sesame seeds, cardamom powder and oil to make the stuffing. Mix well till there are no lumps of jaggery.
6. Make 10 uniform balls of the wheat flour dough. and 5 uniform parts of the jaggery mixture.
7. Roll two small discs using 2 balls of the dough. Place jaggery mixture on one disc. Place another disc on top and press a little, making sure that jaggery mixture is completely covered.
1. If you desire, you can use a shankarpali cutter to give a zigzag edge around the poli after it is rolled into big disc.