Monday, January 6, 2014
Fanas-Harbhare bhaaji with PoLi
Raw jackfruit is readily available at the local Asian markets. Pair it with brown chickpeas for making this delicious Malvani bhaji.
FaNsachi Bhaji (Harbhare ghalun)
1 can raw jackfruit
1/2 cup pressure cooked chickpea sprouts
salt to taste
1 tsp jiggery
Grind to a coarse paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut, scraped
7 black peppercorn
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp chile powder
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup chopped onion
5-6 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed leaving each whole clove
1. Pressure cook chickpea sprouts and set aside.
2. Drain jackfruit pieces. Soak in clean water for about an hour. Drain again and chop roughly.
3. Grind coconut and spices to a coarse paste. All the spices should be ground finely and then coconut should have coarse texture.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafetida and turmeric powder. Add garlic. Sauté as it changes color. Add onion. Sauté till it is soft.
5. Add coconut paste, chopped jackfruit and cooked sprouts. Add 1/4 cup water. Mix.
6. Add salt and jiggery. Cover and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
This bhaji has dry consistency.