Whenever I make this "pooda", people mistake it for tomato omelet. Actually, it doesn't have tomato at all. It contains red bell pepper!;-)
Dholar Marcha na Pooda
Red Bell Pepper Pancake
1 1/2 cup besan/chickpea flour
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafetida
salt to taste
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
1/2 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup minced cilantro
2-3 green chilies, minced (or per desired heat)
water as needed to make batter
Oil for frying
1. Mix all besan with turmeric powder, asafetida and salt. Add 3/4 cup water and make sure that there are no lumps.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients except baking soda. Add more water to make a smooth batter.
3. Heat a pan for cooking the pancakes.
4. When you are ready for making the pancakes, add baking soda to the batter.
5. Add a ladleful of batter and make a thin pancake. Drizzle oil as needed to cook on both the sides.
6. Make sure that the brown spots appear on both the sides and the pooda looks crispy.
7. Serve with tomato ketchup.
1. Add baking soda right before cooking.