A friend of mine sent a Maharashtra Times link to try Bhogichi Bhaaji, just in time since today is Bhogi. This recipe is different than Kolhpuri style Bhogichi Bhaaji that I had blogged before. I changed the recipe based on our preference and availability of the pantry ingredients.
4-5 baby eggplants, cut into chunks
1 medium potato, peeled & cut into chunks
1/3 cup green peas
1 cup surti lilva/pavte/green lima beans
1/4 cup raw peanuts, soaked for 2 hours prior to cooking
2 carrots, peeled & cut into chunks
5-6 small pieces of drumsticks/shevgyachya shenga
1/2 tbsp. jaggery
salt to taste
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tbsp. powdered, roasted, unsalted peanuts/daaNyache kooT
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1 tbsp. goda masala
2 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut
1. Cut vegetables as mentioned above. Soak raw peanuts in water for at least 2 hours. If using frozen drumsticks, pressure cook them and set them aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering. Sauté till the aroma of goda masala wafts through your kitchen.
3. Add lima beans, peanuts, drumsticks and potatoes. Sprinkle some water if needed.
4. Cover and let it cook till partially done. Place water on the lid for cooking.
5. Now add, carrots, eggplants, green peas and cook some more. Add 1/2 cup water.
6. Add chili powder, jaggery, salt, tamarind and roasted peanut powder.
7. Garnish with coconut.
8. Serve with tilwali bhakri.
1. Add more water while cooking if you want more gravy.