Bharli Vangi is Maharashtrian delicacy. I am sharing a second version of this Maharashritan delicacy today.
Stuffed Baby Eggplants
6 small eggplants
6 small potatoes
Grind together to a coarse paste
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
1/2" ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tsp chile powder
1 tbsp jaggery powder
1 tbsp goda masala or garam masala
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 tbsp finely minced cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Rinse eggplants and potatoes. Make 4 slits to stuff the stuffing.
2. Grind masala to a coarse paste, making sure that ginger-garlic are finely ground.
3. Stuff each eggplant and potato with the stuffing. Set aside the extra stuffing for gravy.
4. Heat oil in a cast iron pan. Add asafoetida.
5. Place eggplants and potatoes in a single layer.
6. Spread remaining stuffing around it.
7. Let it cook for about 10 minutes.
8. Flip the vegetables and cook again for 10 more minutes.
9. Add about 1/4 cup water.
10. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes.
11. Keep some water on the lid for slow cooking.
13. Garnish with cilantro.
1. Make sure that the eggplants and potatoes are cooked in a single layer.
2. Sometimes I don't peel the potatoes.
3. You can add about 1/2 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds along with peanuts for grinding.