Aloo Mutter is a classic green peas and potato combo. You can add paneer instead of potatoes to make equally delicious Paneer Mutter or better yet, add both paneer and potato to make Aloo Paneer Mutter!
Green Peas with Potatoes - Punjabi Style
16 oz, 1 packet frozen green peas
1 cup potato cubes or wedges, shallow fried
salt to taste
1 tsp mild chili powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Grind to a smooth paste
1 big onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic
or Rumali Roti
1. Heat oil in a big nonstick kadai or wok. Add spices and let them splutter. Add onion paste.
2. Sauté the onion paste on a low flame till oil leaves the masala.
3. Add a spoonful of water, from time to time, as necessary to avoid the masala from sticking to the pan.
4. Add 1 cup water. Bring to a boil.
5. Stir in green peas. Let it boil.
6. Adjust water if necessary. Add salt, chili powder, garam masala and coriander-cumin seed powder.
7. Add potato chunks.
8. Cover and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. Check for the gravy consistency. Simmer more if desired.
9. Switch off the gas. Let it stand for 5 minutes, before pouring the gravy in the serving bowl.
1. "The oil leaves masala" step took about 55 minutes for me.
2. Sometimes you get English Shelling Peas in the farmers market. They are green peas in pods which you have to shell. They taste really delicious in this recipe.
3. Trader Joe sells frozen Green peas with mint. They may taste yummy in this recipe too. But since it has blobs of butter, personally, I would shy away from it.
4. Though shallow or deep fried potato cubes taste delicious in this recipe, I generally just boil the potatoes, peel & cube them and use them without frying.
5. If you prefer hotter taste, grind green chilies with onions.