Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Surti Amchoor Daal
Daily Daal with Dried Mango Powder
1 cup toor daal, pressure cooked, mashed coarsely
salt to taste
1 tsp jaggery
1 tsp Aamchoor powder/dried mango powder or to taste
1 tbsp. ghee/clarified butter
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves
3-4 green chilies, slit
1/2 cup minced onion
1. Pressure cook toor daal using double amount of water. Mash lightly and set aside.
2. Heat ghee in a saucepan.
3. Add the spices & curry leaves. As they splutter, add onion. Sauté till onion is soft.
4. Add mashed daal and 1/3 cup water. Bring to boil.
5. Switch gas to low. Add salt, jiggery and amchoor powder.
6. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
7. Serve with plain rice or jeera rice.
1. Let this daal have thick consistency.
2. Ghee or clarified butter gives a distinct flavor in this daal. You can most certainly use oil if that's what you prefer.
3. If you like, add more green chilies for a kick. You can also add some garlic cloves in tempering.