Mackerel wrapped in turmeric leaves
3-4 Indian mackerels, cleaned, halved
salt to taste
1/2 tsp asafeotida
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
Grind to a coarse paste
1 cup fresh coconut
10-12 byadgi chilies, roasted
1/2 tbsp. coriander seeds, roasted
5-6 black peppercorns, roasted
1 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tbsp. coconut oil
You will also need
Around 9-10 fresh turmeric leaves, washed and dried.
1. Clean fresh mackerels. Make gashes and cut into halves.
2. Apply salt, turmeric powder and asafetida to marinate.
3. Roast coriander seeds, red chilies, peppercorn, one after the other.
4. Grind coconut with roasted spices and tamarind pulp, using as less oil as possible.
5. Apply this spice paste to the mackerel pieces. Set aside for 1/2 hour.
6. Keep turmeric leaves on top of each other to make a flower shaped design as below.
7. Place the marinated mackerels along with spice paste in the center. Drizzle coconut oil over the paste.
8. Fold the ends of the turmeric leaves using toothpicks as shown below.
13. Let it cook on the other side for another 1/2 hour. Make sure that the gas is at its lowest.
14. Switch off the gas. Keep it covered for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
15. Serve with plain rice.
1. This is a very dry dish. Do not add water while grinding the coconut paste.
2. This dish is meant to be fiery hot. Use chilies per your own heat preference.