Friday, November 15, 2013
Kelphool and Kala Vatana make a classic combination in Malvani cuisine. I have already posted the first version. Today, I am sharing a slightly different version. Hope you all like it.
Banana Blossoms Stir Fry
1 can banana blossom (20oz), soak, rinsed, chopped
1/3 cup boiled kale vatane sprouts
salt to taste
1 tsp jaggery or to taste
Grind to a coarse paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut
3 green chilies
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, roasted
4-5 black peppercorn, roasted
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 cup minced onion
3-4 garlic cloves, smashed, leaving each clove whole
1. Soak banana blossom in water for about an hour to remove any "can" taste. Rinse and drain. Chop finely and set aside.
2. Grind coconut coarsely with roasted spices. Make sure that the spices are ground finely but coconut remains little coarse.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai. Add garlic cloves and onion. Add turmeric powder. Saute for few minutes till onion is soft.
4. Add chopped banana blossoms, ground coconut paste. Sprinkle some water if needed.
5. Cover and let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
6. Add salt and jaggery.
1. Since I am using canned banana blossom, it doesn't take too long to cook.