Keeping up with my theme of celebrating my kitchen garden, I am sharing this much loved kaap/kaachrya or fodi recipe.
Shallow Fried Eggplant
1 Japanese eggplant, cut into thick circles
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp chile powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp rawa/semolina
2 tbsp rice flour
Oil for shallow frying
1. Rinse and pat dry the eggplant. Remove the stem. Cut into thick circles.
2. Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder, chile powder and asafoetida, making sure that all the eggplants circle are uniformly covered with these spices.
3. Heat an iron pan/griddle. Add oil.
4. Dredge the spiced eggplant circles into rice & semolina mixture. Shake off excess flour.
5. Place on the hot pan carefully. Cook on a low flame, adding oil as needed so they are cooked and are crispy.
6. Serve with your daily meal.
1. Depending on the actual size of the eggplant, the spices needed may vary.