There are many varieties of "paavte" or Lima Beans in India. For making this usal, you can use dried white lima beans, frozen baby lima beans or freshly picked lima beans.
ओल्या पावट्या ची उसळ
Lima Beans Stir Fry
16 oz. frozen baby lima beans or about 2 cups fresh lima beans or 3/4 cup dry lima beans - soaked and sprouted as instructed here.
1 potato, peeled & diced
1 tsp jaggery
salt to taste
1/2 tsp chile powder
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic, peeled & minced
1/2 tbsp. goda masala
2 tbsp. freshly scraped coconut
2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
Freshly squeezed lemon
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add spices. As they sizzle, add onion and garlic. Sauté till onion is soft.
2. Add goda masala and keep sautéing for about 2 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and lima beans. Add Chile powder. Sprinkle some water if needed. Cover with a lid and pour some water on the lid. Let it cook on medium flame till potatoes and beans are soft.
4. Add salt and jiggery.
5. Garnish with coconut and cilantro.
6. Just before serving, drizzle some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
1. If using dry lima beans, follow the instructions to sprout them before using.
2. Also you may pressure cook the sprouts to expedite the process.