The new Indian stores that I discovered recently, has delicacies from Kerala, but those also were delicacies from my own roots. I found some forgotten vegetables like breadfruit and drumsticks leaves. After finding the breadfruit, I had to call Kaku, to get her recipe for the bhaaji. I couldn't believe that the recipe was this simple.
Kaku's Vilayati Fanasachi Bhaaji
Breadfruit Stir Fry
1 packet (16 oz) frozen Vilayati Fanas/Breadfruit - Daily Delight Brand
salt to taste
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 green chilies, chopped
2 red chilies, halved
1/4 cup freshly scraped coconut
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1. Heat oil in a nonstick kadhai/wok.
2. Add the ingredients for tempering.
3. As they sizzle, add breadfruit pieces.
4. Cover and place some water on the lid. Do not add any water in the kadhai, for cooking.
5. Stir in between.
6. Let it cook for about 25 minutes. Add salt, coconut and black pepper powder - if using.
7. Let it cook for 5 more minutes without the lid.
1. This bhaaji is quite starchy.
2. I used "Daily Delight" brand.
3. Breadfruit is known as "Vilayati Fanas" in Marathi or "Jeev Kadgi" in Konkani