I have already blogged about the recipe of "Bhugga" using ricotta cheese. I used the same concept and made "khavyache"/Mawa Modak for this Ganesh Chaturthi.
Use full fat/whole milk ricotta cheese for richer flavor.
Ricotta Cheese "Mawa" Modak - (Count 12)
Ricotta Cheese Sweet
1 box whole or part skim ricotta cheese (15 oz)
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
4-5 Green cardamoms, peeled & powdered
Few strands of saffron + 1 tbsp warm milk
1. Pour ricotta cheese in a nonstick wok/kadhai.
2. Roast on a medium flame. Keep an eye and keep stirring to avoid any cheese sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. The cheese will bubble first.
4. Keep roasting till moisture is completely evaporated. This stage may take about 45 minutes to 1 hour of roasting time.
5. Now add sugar. This step will add some moisture to the cheese.
6. So keep on roasting for another 10-12 minutes till it gets dryish.
7. Add saffron + milk and cardamom powder. Mix well.
8. Switch off the gas. Let it cool down.
9. Spray a cooking spray on a small Modak mould.
10. Stuff the ricotta mixture inside the mould to get the perfect Modak shape.
11. Repeat step 10 till all the mixture is used. Use spray if necessary.
1. Above proportion gave me a dozen small Modaks.
2. Adjust sugar per your preference.