Panchamrut is a simple accompaniment/chutney made with nuts and coconut. It is served along with daily meal.
Panchamrut - 2
1/4 cup raw, unsalted cashew pieces, soaked for 2 hours
2 tbsp raw, unsalted peanuts, soaked for 2 hours
1/4 cup fresh coconut slices
salt to taste
1 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
1/4 cup jaggery powder
1 tbsp goda masala
1/2 tsp chile powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp white sesame seeds
1. Soak peanuts and cashews in water for 2 hours. Drain.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida and sesame seeds.
3. As they splutter, add drained nuts and coconut slices. Saute for 2 minutes. Lower the heat. Cover with a lid. Pour some water over the lid. Let it cook till done.
4. Add tamarind-jaggery mixture and salt to taste.
5. Bring to boil. Let it simmer till it appears like a thick gravy.
1. I used frozen coconut slices.
2. Serve as an accompaniment with daily meal. This acts like a chutney or salad on the side.