Tuesday, August 20, 2013
This simple curry may resemble "Kadhi" yet it's different. Serve it with plain rice.
SurNachi Taakatli Bhaaji
सुरणाची ताकातली भाजी
Elephant Foot Yam with coconut-buttermilk gravy
1 packet cut suraN/elephant foot yam (12 oz)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 spring curry leaves
Salt to taste
Grind to a smooth paste
1/2 cup Coconut, freshly scraped preferably
3 green chilies
1" ginger, peeled
Whisk till no lumps
1 1/2 cup buttermilk - preferably sour
1 1/2 tbsp besan/chickpea flour
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2-3 red chilies, halved
1. Rinse suraN pieces according to the instructions. Do not keep outside to thaw. Place rinsed suraN with turmeric powder, curry leaves and 1/4 cup water in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Cover and let it cook till done.
2. Meanwhile, grind coconut with green chilies and ginger.
3. Whisk buttermilk and chickpea flour till there are no lumps. Add coconut paste to the buttermilk mixture and mix well.
4. Pour buttermilk-coconut mixture into the cooked suraN. Add water to adjust the consistency but it shouldn't be watery.
5. Add salt to taste. Bring to boil. Keep stirring from time to time.
6. Simmer for 10-12 minutes.
7. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and red chiles. Drizzle the tempered oil over the curry.
8. Switch off the gas and cover with a lid.
1. This curry should not be watery. It should be on the thick side.
2. Always remember to add souring agent like buttermilk, tamarind, kokum etc while cooking suraN.
3. I use frozen suraN due to unavailability of a good quality suraN. Use fresh suraN if available.