Wednesday, August 7, 2013
I found some extremely fresh baby kohlrabies at the Farmers' Market the other day. They are perfect for this "partun bhaaji". If they are too big, then it will take forever to get cooked. You will know if the kohlrabies are fresh or not, by the ease with which you can cut them. If they are taking too difficult to chop or if you have to exert too much pressure, then they are not the right candidates for this bhaaji.
Navalkolachi Partun Bhaaji
Kohlrabi Stir Fry
6 baby kohlrabi/navalkol/alkol - peeled and very thinly sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled & very thinly sliced
salt to taste
1 tsp Chile powder
2 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1. Heat oil in a wok - preferably an iron kadhai.
2. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
3. Drain the vegetables and add to the kadhai, taking care there is no water.
4. Add chile powder. Keep stir frying till vegetables - especially, kohlrabi is cooked.
5. Add salt to taste.
1. Use only fresh baby kohlrabies for this recipe.