I love to sneak in the vegetables along with daal. But this daal-palak is not my experiment. It is actually a very traditional combo. Make sure to make this daal on the thicker side for the authentic flavor.
Daal Palak (4)
Spinach with daily daal
1 cup toor daal, pressure cooked
2 cups shredded spinach
salt to taste
1/2 tsp jaggery or to taste
3-4 kokums, rinsed
1 tsp goda masala
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1-2 green chilies, slit
2 red chilies, halved
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tsp oil
4-5 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
1. Pressure cook toor daal adding adequate amount of water. Do not mash.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
3. As they sizzle, add chilies & onion. Saute till onion is soft.
4. Now, add spinach and saute till spinach is wilted.
5. Add goda masala. Saute for 1 minute.
6. Add cooked daal, goda masala, jaggery and kokum with salt.
7. Add 1/2 cup water.
8. Let it come to a rapid boil. Switch gas to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
9. Heat another small saucepan for tempering. Add oil and saute smashed garlic cloves. Fry till garlic is a shade darker.
10. Add to the daal and cover with a lid.
11. Serve daal with chapati or plain rice.
1. This daal has thick consistency.