Frankly, I am not sure how to translate this dish in English. It's not exactly salad or chutney or dip or curry but it's an accompaniment with the main meal nonetheless. It is generally made as a part of a "saatvik" meal.
Bhoplya Mirchicha Kaayras
भोपळ्या मिरचीचा कायरस
Bell Pepper Salad
3 medium green bell peppers, stemmed/cored, diced about 2 1/4 cup
1 medium potato, peeled & diced, about 3/4 cup
1/4 cup peanuts or cashews - raw & unsalted - soaked in water for 1 hour
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tbsp white sesame seeds
Whish till no lumps in a bowl
1 cup water
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
1/4 cup jaggery powder
1 tbsp goda masala
1 tbsp roasted, unsalted peanut powder/daanyache kooT
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Add asafoetida and sesame seeds.
3. As they splutter, add peanuts or cashews. Saute for about 2 minutes.
4. Add bell peppers and potatoes. Saute for 5 minutes. Cover with a lid. Pour some water on top. Cook till the vegetables are cooked just right. Do not let it overcook.
5. Now add tamarind -jaggery mixture. Let the mixture come to boil.
6. Switch the gas to low. Add coconut. Let it simmer till it reaches desired consistency. It should not be very thin.
7. Serve as an accompaniment with the mail meal.
1. This kaayrus should not be runny. It should stay in place just like chutney or koshimbeer. But it needs to have a thick gravy.