I plucked fresh Rajgira from my container garden and I made this simple stir fry.
Amaranth Leaves Stir Fry
1 bunch Rajgira, cleaned,rinsed, roughly chopped
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar or to taste
1 tbsp unsalted, roasted peanuts, powdered/daaNyache KooT
2 tsp oil
1/3 cup chopped onion
4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled & smashed
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1-2 green chilies, slit
1-2 red chilies, halved
1. Rinse rajgira in several changes of water. Remove all the impurities/soil. Chop roughly.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add garlic cloves. Saute till they are a shade darker.
3. Now add onion, chilies and turmeric powder. Saute till onion is soft.
4. Add chopped rajgira. Mix. Sprinkle few drops of water. Cover with a lid. Pour some water on the lid. Let it cook till rajgira is soft.
5. Now add salt, sugar and peanut powder. Saute till it comes together.
6. Let all the water evaporate.
1. If the stems are fresh, you can chop them with leaves.
2. Always add salt after the leafy greens are cooked as they always wilt to a smaller quantity after getting cooked.