Sometimes, my mom combines vegetables with daal, thus sneaking in more nutrients into the daily daal. Whichever vegetable you use, gives its own flavor to the daal.
Bittergourd with daily daal
1 cup toor daal
3 small bittergourds, scraped, deseeded, chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp jaggery or to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 1/2 tsp goda masala
1. Pressure cook toor daal and bittergourds together, adding adequate water. Set aside. Do not mash daal.
2. Heat oil in s heavy bottomed saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves. As they start to splutter, add onion. Saute for 5 minutes. Now, add goda masala. Saute on a medium flame, taking care not to let goda masala burn.
3. Now add daal along with bittergourds. Add 1 cup water.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients one after the other. Bring to boil on a medium-high flame.
5. Adjust water according to the desired consistency. Switch gas to low. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
1. This daal should be on the thicker side.
2. Do not mash the daal completely.