My mom uses different legumes, daals and beans to make delicious curries. Varan-bhaat was probably the first daal-rice combo I ever ate in my life. I always wondered why mom would even use moong daal to make varan as toor daal is the best candidate for making this simple, plain daal. Mom's explanation was that moog daal is easier to digest than toor daal and there should always be some variety.
If you are making varan for the first time, do use toor daal for authenticity.
Moogachya Daaliche Varan
मुगाच्या डाळीचे वरण
Plain & Bland Mung Daal
1 cup yellow moong daal, rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
1 tsp jaggery
1. Pressure cook moong daal with turmeric powder, asafoetida and water.
2. Mash completely. Transfer to a saucepan.
3. Add salt and jaggery. Bring to boil.
4. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Serve with plain rice, ghee/toop and lemon pickle.
1. Use yellow moong daal for this recipe.