Bhendi Kandyachi Bhaaji
Okra with Onion
2 cups okra, remove both ends, halved and slit
2 cups thinly sliced onion
salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tbsp goda masala
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp sugar or jaggery
3 kokums, rinsed
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1. Rinse and dry okra. Remove both ends. Cut into 2" pieces. Make a slit on each piece.
2. Heat oil in a nonstick or iron kadhai/wok.
3. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add thinly sliced onion. Saute till onion is soft.
4. Add okra. saute for 5 minutes.
5. Add all the powders. Keep on stir frying, adding more oil if needed.
6. Keep stirring from time to time till okra is cooked.
7. Add salt, jaggery or sugar and kokums.
8. Stir well. Switch off the gas.
9. Serve with chapati.
1. Add more oil if necessary.
2. Do not cover while cooking.