Thursday, June 27, 2013
This is a traditional kheer or sweet porridge from the GSB kitchens of Maharashtra. The GSBs of South Canara have a similar yet different sugarless version - Cheppi Kheer.
Rice & Fenugreek Seeds Porridge
1 cup rice
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
2 turmeric leaves
2 cups thick coconut milk
1/2 cup thin coconut milk
1/2 cup jaggery or to taste
4-5 cardamoms, peeled & crushed
1. Wash rice and fenugreek seeds. Soak for 1 hour with sufficient water.
2. Drain. Place in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add about 3 cups water and turmeric leaves - tied in knots. Bring to boil. Switch the gas to low. Simmer till rice is soft.
3. Mash a little, with the back of a ladle.
4. Add thick and thin coconut milk and jaggery. Simmer on low flame.
5. Stir in cardamom powder.
6. Serve warm.
1. Discard turmeric leaves before serving.
2. Use freshly crushed cardamoms instead of ready made cardamom powder.
3. Adjust the amount of jaggery to your own liking.