I love red amaranth or laal maaTh a lot. But it's not readily available here. Swiss chard can easily be substituted for any laal MaaTh recipe.
Swiss Chard chi bhaaji
Swiss Chard Stir Fry
1 bunch green/red/rainbow chard, shredded
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar/jaggery
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 green chili, slit
1 red, dried Chile, halved
1 small onion, chopped approx 1/2 cup
1. Rinse chard taking care of removing all the impurities, near the stems. Chop roughly. If stems are tender, chop them as well.
2. Heat oil in a wok/kadhai. Add all the ingredients for tempering. Saute till onion is soft.
3. Add shredded greens. Sprinkle some water. Place lid on top and place water on the lid.
4. Let it cook on a medium flame.
5. Add salt and sugar/jaggery after greens are cooked and wilted.
1. Always add salt after the greens are cooked as they seem to wilt down in size after cooking.
2. Mom always adds a potato in Laal MaaThachi bhaaji. Add a chopped potato if you prefer. If using, add it after onion is soft and let it cook for few minutes before adding greens.