Lassi has gained a wide popularity even in the United States. Even Trader Joe sells it.
In some parts of Mumbai, I have tasted this lassi, flavored with rose water. If it's not readily available, proceed without it. But rosewater adds a different flavor to this quintessential summer cooler.
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I used skim)
1 cup water
2 tbsp sugar (more or less per taste)
A pinch of salt
1 tsp rose water
&/or crushed ice
1. Churn yogurt, sugar and water to make thick buttermilk
2. If using rose water, stir in.
3. Chill. Serve with crushed ice, if using.
1. Some people also use grated jaggery instead of sugar for a more earthy taste. This lassi with jaggery is called Gudwali Lassi.
2. For richer version, you can use whole milk yogurt and top it with some heavy cream - for that "malai maarke" flavor.