Sometimes, when I have a vegetable in hand, and am not sure what to do with it, I turn to my grandmother's simple upkari. Just add a coconut oil fanna/tempering of basic ingredients and a simple stir fry is ready. I do not add extra coconut, but for the authentic taste, a garnish of freshly scraped coconut is a must.
Snakegourds South Canara Style
2 medium snakegourds/PadwaL chopped, remove seeds and membranes
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil - preferably coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
3-4 red chilies such as byadgi chilies
1. Chop snake gourds taking out seeds.
2. Heat oil in a kadhai/wok/bogaLay. Add the mustard seeds, asafoetida and red chilies.
3. As they splutter, add snakgourds. Saute for 1 minute.
4. Cover with a lid and place water on the lid. Let it cook on a medium flame. Check from time to time. Sprinkle some water if needed.
5. Add salt.
6. Serve with DaLitauy and Rice.
1. Snakegourd seeds can be used to make a Konkani pancake - Sanna PoLo.
2. For an authentic flavor, garnish with freshly scraped coconut.