Rice with Indian Cheese
1 cup Basmati rice, rinsed, drained
salt to taste
2 cups mixed vegetables (Green beans, carrots, green peas, corn etc)
1 cup Paneer cubes
1 medium potato, peeled & cubes (optional)
1 tbsp Pulao masala
Grind to a fine paste
1 cup cilantro
5-6 fresh mint leaves
2 green chilies (optional)
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1" piece of cinnamon
3-4 black peppercorn
2 green cardamoms
1 tbsp clarified butter
1. Rinse and drain Basmati rice. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Add all the whole spices for tempering. As they splutter/ get unfurled, add green paste. Saute for 5 minutes of medium flame.
4. Add basmati rice and saute for 1 minute.
5. Add potato - if using along with the vegetables. Saute for 1 minute.
6. Add 3 cups water, salt to taste and pulao masala.
7. Bring to boil. Switch the gas to low. Cover and let it cook for about 12-15 minutes.
8. Place paneer pieces. Switch off the gas. Keep covered for at least 10 minutes before serving.
9. Fluff the rice with a fork. Drizzle ghee/clarified butter - if using.
1. For richer taste, fry paneer and potato pieces. In that case add both in step 8.
2. For richer taste, use ghee for tempering and use even more ghee for garnish.
3. I use frozen vegetables for this recipe.
4. I always use double proportion of vegetables to rice. Adjust per your own liking.