I had checked out Mireille Guiliano's French Women don't get fat book. I wanted to try her Leeks soup. But I couldn't get good leeks in the market. So I got frozen leeks from Trader Joes and never made that soup so far. But I wanted to use those frozen leeks so I created this Leeks fried Rice. Leeks is a vegetable that can be described best as bodybuilder spring onion!! ;-)
Leeks Fried Rice
1 lb Frozen, chopped Leeks
1 1/4 cup rice, rinsed and drained
2 1/2 cup warm water
salt to taste
A dash of Soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp ginger paste
1. Rinse and drain rice. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Add ginger paste. Saute for 1 minute. Add leeks. Saute for 30 seconds.
4. Add drained rice. Keep sauteing for 2 minutes.
5. Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper and soy sauce.
6. Add warm water, salt and bring to boil.
7. Switch the gas to low, cover and let it cook.
8. Fluff with the fork before serving.
1. I used frozen chopped leeks.
2. Please note that this rice is very mild. So make sure to serve it with some spicy delicacy of your choice.