Friday, May 3, 2013
As a kid, cabbage was not exactly my favorite. but as my tastebuds and I grew, I think I started liking cabbage more. Mom generally made two types of kobichi bhaaji for our lunchbox. One was with addition of chana daal and the other was with potato and/or green peas. I personally like cabbage + Potato + green peas combo more than just cabbage and potato.
Kobichi Bhaaji (2)
Cabbage with potatoes and green peas
1 small cabbage, shredded
salt to taste
1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped, soak in water till ready to use.
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2" ginger, peeled & grated
2-3 green chilies, slit
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1 tbsp minced cilantro
1. Heat oil in a kadhai/wok. Add tempering ingredients till turmeric powder. As they sizzle add green chilies and grated ginger. Saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add drained potato pieces. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes till potatoes are semi cooked.
3. Add shredded cabbage and green peas. Sprinkle some water. Stir well.
4. Cover and place water on the lid.
5. Cook till cabbage is cooked to your liking. Sprinkle water from time to time if needed.
6. Add salt to taste after cabbage is cooked.
7. Garnish with coconut and cilantro.
1. This bhaaji can be made by adding just potatoes or just green peas along with cabbage.