Saturday, May 11, 2013
When I have leafy greens available, one of the recipes I try is our good, old ZuNka.
ZuNka made in my family is a very dry version. Pithale, on the other hand, has thin or pudding like consistency.
Harbharyachya Paalyacha ZuNka
हरभऱ्याच्या पाल्याचा झुणका
Chickpea Greens with Chickpa Flour
1 bunch Chickpea Greens, rinsed and roughly chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
1/2 - 3/4 cup besan/chickpea flour
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Heat oil in an iron kadhai/wok. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
2. As they splutter, add chopped greens. Saute till they are cooked.
3. Stir in salt and chili powder.
4. Now add chickpea flour, spoonful at a time while stirring the mixture constantly. Keep adding till it starts to look dry. Add spoonful of oil if needed.
5. Keep sauteing for some more time till besan appears to be cooked.
1. This is a very dry dish. Serve with little yogurt on the side.
2. If the stems are very fresh, they can be chopped else, just tear off the tender leaves and use them in this recipe.