I made bharta/bharit with this unusual pair of eggplant and avocado. It tasted pretty good as a dip or as an accompaniment with the daily meal.
1 eggplant - bharta variety
salt to taste
1 lemon, freshly squeezed
1 small purple onion, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp minced cilantro
1. Grill eggplant applying oil. Let it cool down. Take the peel off and mash the pulp.
2. Mash avocado to pulp. Add it to the eggplant pulp.
3. Add salt, finely chopped onion and fresh lemon juice.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, cumin seeds and turmeric powder.
5. Drizzle over the eggplant-avocado mixture.
6. Mix in chopped cilantro.
7. Serve as an accompaniment with an Indian meal or as a dip with crackers/chips.
1. Do not make this bhurta too much in advance, else Avocado may turn black.