Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Sometimes, mom adds some seasonal vegetables in her Kadhi and then the kadhi gets a delicate flavor of that vegetable. When drumsticks/shevgyachya shenga are readily available in the market, she makes this delicious shenganchi kadhi.
Shevgyachya Shenganchi Kadhi
Kadhi with Indian Drumsticks
1 cup plain yogurt
2 cups water
2 tbsp besan/chickpea flour
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 drumstick, cut into 6-7 pieces
1 tbsp oil or ghee/clarified butter/toop
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
2 green chilies, slit
2 tsp ginger, grated
1. Whisk yogurt, water, chickpea flour till there are no lumps. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering. As they sizzle, add drumstick pieces and 1/4 cup water. Cover and let it cook till it is soft.
3. Now add buttermilk mixture, salt and sugar.
4. Keep stirring till it comes to boil.
5. Reduce the flame and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
1. Frozen drumsticks can be used. But in my experience, they take a long time to cook compared to fresh and tender drumsticks. So if using frozen drumsticks, pressure cook them and then add to the tempering. If already pressure cooked, there is no need for additional cooking.