I was inspired to make this curry after tasting it at Raja Foods, Jackson Heights, NY. This is my version.
Soya Badi Aur Alu
Potatoes with Soy Chunks
4 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and roughly chopped
1 cup Soy chunks like Nutrela soaked in water for at least 2 hours
salt to taste
1 tsp Punjabi Garam Masala
1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp chili powder
*Grind to a fine paste
1 cup cilantro
10 Mint leaves
3-4 green chilies
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
* Green paste
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp minced cilantro
1. Soak Soy chunks like Nutrela in water for at least 2 hours. Drain. Add about 2 tbsp green paste to the drained soy chunks and pressure cook adding 2 tbsp water for 2-3 whistles. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering. Saute onion till it is soft.
3. Add remaining green paste and saute for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and keep on sauteing till oil leaves masala.
4. Add coriander-cumin powder, garam masala and chili powder. Add potato pieces, crush few pieces by hand to give thickness to the gravy.
5. Add cooked soy chunks and water as need.
6. Add salt to taste - remember there is salt in the green paste. Adjust accordingly.
7. Simmer for few more minutes.
8. Garnish with cilantro.
9. Serve with lemon wedges and flatbread of your choice.
1. Nutrela chunks are like a blank canvas as they are very bland. Make this curry in advance so they can soak up the gravy/masala.
2. For variation, grind onion and tomatoes before sauteing in the oil.
Raja Sweet & Fast Foods, Jackson Heights, NY
7231 37th Ave
Jackson Heights, NY 11372