This is a simple Black Eyed Peas curry with Punjabi Spices.
Black Eyed Peas Curry
1 cup dry or approx 3 cups soaked/sprouted black eyed peas
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tsp Punjabi Garam Masala
1 tsp chili powder
Grind to a fine paste
1 1/2 cup chopped onions
3/4 cups tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
3-4 green chilies (adjust per your preference)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 tbsp minced cilantro
1. Pressure cook black eyed peas adding adequate water and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. Set aside to cool down.
2. Grind onion, tomatoes, cilantro with chilies, ginger and garlic - preferably without adding any water.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, add onion and saute till onion is soft.
4. Now, add ground paste and fry till oil leaves the masala. It may take about 30 minutes. Keep on sauteing on low flame.
5. Add coriander-cumin powder, chili powder and garam masala. Saute for 5 minutes.
6. Add cooked black eyed peas along with cooking liquid.
7. Add more water if necessary. Add salt to taste. Bring to boil.
8. Switch gas to low. Simmer for 10-12 minutes.
9. Switch off the gas. Keep covered for 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
1. Small chowli/chori beans/cowpeas can also be used.