Monday, April 1, 2013
Remember, my mom's Idlichi chutney? Well, I made idlies and was all set to make that chutney but it was one of those days, when I didn't have green chilies and coconut was in the freezer. So I substituted and improvised and my Idlichi "Brown" chutney got created. I increased the amount of daals to add more protein.
Idlichi Brown Chutney
1 1/2 cup scraped coconut
2 tbsp urad daal
1/2 tsp oil
2 tbsp puffed chana daal/pandharpuri daaLe
4-5 red chilies such as byadgi (increase or decreased per desired spice level)
Salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp tamarind paste
water as needed
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1. In a cast iron pan, roast urad daal till it changes color. It should be reddish brown but not brunt black. Add 1/2 tsp oil when the daal changes color and fry for about 30 seconds more.
2. Take off the urad daal and now roast puffed chana daal till it changes color. Set aside with urad daal to cool down.
3. Roast coconut till it is reddish brown. Do not let it burn.
4. Grind all the roasted ingredients with salt, sugar, tamarind. Use water as needed. Grind to a coarse paste making sure that the daals are completely ground.
5. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. Drizzle the tempered oil over the chutney. Mix well.
6. Serve with idlies or dosas.
1. Omit sugar if you do not like your chutney to have a sweetish note.