Kobi bhaat is a simple yet traditional rice-cabbage preparation. A good quality goda masala is a must for this recipe.
1 cup basmati rice, washed, drained
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup mixed vegetables
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp jaggery
1/2 tsp mild chili powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp Goda Masala
1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
3 cups water
1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter/sajook toop
1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
2 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Wash and drain basmati rice. Set aside for at least 1/2 hour.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Add mustard, cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, add ginger-garlic paste & goda masala. Saute for about 30 seconds.
4. Add cabbage, basmati rice and mixed veggies. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
5. Bring water to boil in a separate container.
6. Pour hot water in the cabbage-rice mixture. Add salt, jaggery and mild chili powder.
7. Bring to boil. Switch gas to low. Cover with a lid. Let it cook on low flame till rice and veggies are cooked.
8. Drizzle clarified butter/ghee/sajuk toop over the cooked rice.
9. Garnish with cilantro & coconut.
1. I used more vegetables than rice. So the proportion of 1 cup rice and 2 1/2 cups of total vegetables is not a typo.
2. Use good quality or preferably homemade goda masala.