Wednesday, March 13, 2013
My parents are not particularly fond of pav bhaaji. According to my dad, any bhaaji or curry needs to have some texture along with the taste and flavor. He doesn't care for the regular Pavbhaaji because he misses that texture. Well, probably Khada Pavbhaaji was invented for those handfuls who don't care for pavbhaaji due to its smooth texture where vegetables are mashed beyond regcognition.
Khada Pav Bhaaji
1 medium cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
2-3 potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 carrots, peeled & cut into small pieces
Grind to a fine paste
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1" ginger, peeled & roughly chopped
1 tbsp Amul Butter
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
You will also need
1 tbsp Pav Bhaaji Masala
1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp finely minced cilantro
Bread or Pav
1. Bring water to boil. Add salt. Add all the vegetables (cauliflower, potatoes, peas and carrots). Boil till the veggies are semi-cooked. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil and butter in a saucepan. Add cumin seeds.
3. Add onions. Saute till they are soft.
4. Add ginger-garlic-pepper paste. saute for about 10 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes. Saute till they are pulpy.
6. Add turmeric powder, pav bhaaji masala, paprika and salt.
7. Add drained vegetables, 1 cup water and sugar to taste.
8. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
9. Garnish with cilantro before serving
1. Do not mash the vegetables as they are done in the usual Paav Bhaaji.